Tuesday 2 September 2008

My Quest Begins...

My name is Alec-Ross, UK Journalist student from Wakefield, Yorkshire (pictured below). I am 20 years old and entering my final year at the University of Sunderland. Since as far as I can remember I've been enraptured if not a little obsessed by computer games. Even now as I sit at the computer and type away, I am listening to the soundtrack from the latest Metal Gear Solid game. My main reason for starting this blog is partly so I can amplify my thoughts and have written notes of what I need to sort out. You see, for my final project at university, I have chosen to develop a magazine. A magazine based around the gaming industry. I believe that I will enjoy this venture so much that my final year at University won't seem like work at all.


This is me, this what I look like. Those eyes, they've seen so much pixels from one generation to the next.

In order to create a magazine, one must take into account target audiences, kind of readership, geographic area, culture, censorship etc. This will all come to me once I've done a little research into each topic. It's not all going to be fun and video games, but I am very hopeful that I can render a quality magazine. My only doubt about doing this magazine is that most gamers, myself included, get most of their information from the wonderful world wide web and that's where the market is. So in addition to a gaming magazine, I am also going to be bringing my articles online. However, it won't be to this blog. That blog will come in the future. This blog is designed to record my progress, the magazines progress and stories, interviews, features, reviews and everything else I come up with. It is a progress blog.


Today is the beginning of this progress. I have already e-mailed two potential contacts that would provide me with some good stories. I've e-mailed Stuttering Craig from screwattack.com in a hope to interview him, and a few others of the ScrewAttack staff, about their community. Machinima.com is another entity I have considered interviewing about a possible Machinima feature to join my already existing Red Vs. Blue interview with none other than Burnie Burns. I've also even got a piece of paper at the side of me (horrible it is, I hate my own handwriting, makes me look like a child) with a spider diagram for different name ideas. So far they are all terrible.


Red vs Blue Wallpaper from Rooster Teeth's Website, my brain storm and the ScrewAttack Logo

So let the quest begin. The Ultimate Gaming Magazine has begun the birth process and it's only a matter of time and hard work. In the words of Oscar Wilde: "Man is made for something better than disturbing dirt."


Sayonara


Oscar Wilde


No comments: